Monday, January 14, 2013

drooling down the river

I don't know if you were ever a fan of Home Improvement, but I grew up with it. My Dad thought it was hilarious, thus I have many memories of him just cracking up watching the antics go on as Tim "The Toolman" Taylor botched up project after project. How Tim ever managed to accomplish anything (right) is beyond me.

One of his botched up happenings occurred when he was flapping his jaw a bit too much during his show about his wife, Jill, and her, well, her drooling problem. Him and some other guys are talking about annoying things each of their wives does. He says,

Oh yeah? My wife DROOLS in her sleep! I'm not talking about a little puddle, I'm talking like 'Hook up the hose! Let's water the lawn!' Man the lifeboats! She's drooling!

And then, he breaks out into song ...

She's drooling
She's drooling
She's drooling down the river!
(All the while pretending to be paddling a boat)

What he didn't realize was that Jill saw the show. Busted. You don't make fun of your drooling wife, right? Especially on national TV. Right.

BUT. It is ok for me to make fun of myself for drooling. YES, yes it is!

Now, I won't lie, I've always been a bit of a drooler when I sleep. Come on, you know you've drooled your fair share, too. But, it seems that being nearly 34 weeks pregnant has ramped up my drool production. Big time. I think the statements Tim made about Jill could totally apply to me. Drool city. Only while sleeping, mind you. I can keep things under control while I'm awake, I'm happy to say.

One day I was watching my nephews and they both went down for a nap. I crashed on the couch and dozed off for a bit, only to be awakened a bit later by my brother in law pulling into the driveway to pick up his kiddos. I got up to get the door, and wiped my mouth. Drool. It didn't stop there. It ran all the way down my neck and onto my shirt! I seriously had a grapefruit sized circle of drool on my shirt!

I was horrified! I quickly grabbed a towel, wiped up my neck and face, and then tried to sop up the mess on my shirt, to no avail. That drool pool was going nowhere.

My brother in law came in (seeming not to notice the drool pool) and then I heard my baby nephew wake up. Saved! I ran, grabbed him, walked out to the living room, and ... (I'm not proud of this moment) ... this is where I KIND OF blamed my sweet nephew for the drool pool on my shirt. I may have said something like, "Let's see if you can drool on the other side of my shirt now, buddy!"

Yes, I'm terrible. But, I had a non-drooly reputation to keep. I hope my brother in law is not reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment