Friday, March 9, 2012

silas spotting

Tonight was a "Fun Night" at the school. A night with kiddie type carnival games and masses of people. Masses of children. I kid you not, masses. Jerome and I had to run the ladder golf game. Imagine masses of four year olds chucking golf balls every way but the way they intended. It was quite hilarious, really.

There was one boy who came up to our game who looked strangely familiar to me. Dark hair, big, brown puppy eyes. I thought to myself, 'Hm, he looks like Silas. I wonder what Silas looks like now?' Just then, one of the boys with this boy says, "It's your turn, Silas." I couldn't believe it. The boy came up to me and handed me his ticket.

Hi, what's your name?

Silas.

I had to be sure I heard correctly. I watched him play the game, his big eyes smiling as he won, and then got to pick out his prize. He was shy and sweet. I then watched him run up to his Mom, who smiled back at him and was so excited to see his prize. They were so happy.

You see, Silas is a little boy we did foster care for years ago. He was three at the time. Not only did we do foster care, but we actually were going to adopt him. Yes, indeed. We had taken many steps down that adoption road with him, physically and emotionally. But then, Mom started to really try. To really do her best. To love him first, above her choices. And so, he went back to Mom. And I was so thankful for that. Really, I was. Not that we didn't want to adopt him, and not that it wasn't hard, but we knew if Mom could pull herself together, that's where he needed to be.

After sitting there for a few minutes, I decided I needed to talk to her. I felt kind of silly, but I had to. I introduced myself to her (Silas' Mom), and asked if she remembered us, which she did. I told her I was so happy to see them all together. How thankful I was. She was sweet and appreciative. I hope she could feel how proud I was of her.

Silas is now nine, almost ten. We haven't see him since he went back to Mom, until tonight. And even tho I didn't get to really talk to him, and I saw him for only a few minutes, I know he's where he should be. With Mom (who looks great and showers love), a new Dad, and brothers.

I am so thankful for the glimpse of him tonight. Thank You, Lord, for giving that gift to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment