Tuesday, May 22, 2012

the color of grace

I love the idea of painting, in an artistic way. I just can't seem to tap into that side of me very well yet, unfortunately.

I've been given no other choice than to be "crafty" this year with wedding gifts. We have an unreal amount of weddings, and honestly, at a low estimate of $20 per gift, per wedding, well, I just had to be creative to save some pennies! So, I bought some canvas. And paints. And brushes. Oh, and one of those great roundish things with the divots in it for paint, I have no idea what it's called ... you know, like Bob Ross has, only mine is plastic. Cheesy, right?

As I smeared the paint on the canvas for my first time, ever, I was quite excited. And then, I put more paint on. And, another color. And then, more paint. Then it dried. And then ... I repainted the whole thing again, right over the dried paint. It was awful, believe you me. I was slightly frustrated with it, with myself.

As I looked at the mess on the canvas I had made, and began to paint over the whole thing, I was thinking, how much my life is like that canvas in a way.

Sometimes I have my own ideas of what my life should look like, what I want to do, where I want to go, etc., etc., without concern of what God has for me in those areas. And then, as I stand back and look, I am left with a sloppy mess, a hurting heart, or whatever the circumstance may be. What was I thinking? Why did I think I could run my life the way I wanted, instead of the way He wants? Oh, silly me.

Thankfully, God is there, ready to repaint the messes of my life with His grace when I call out to Him. Wow, I am so thankful for His grace! It's a beautiful color on the canvas of my life.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
{2 Corinthians 12:9}

{And guess what? I am going to repaint it, again. It's still AWFUL. And, if you're reading this and getting married this year, my deepest apologies. Feel free to hang your gift in the closet.}


No comments:

Post a Comment