Thursday, April 5, 2012

truly courageous

Today, I finished reading a book I had been eagerly anticipating reading since it came out last fall.

Kisses from Katie

It's written by a 22 year old girl who moved to Uganda right after her high school graduation, and has lived a life sacrificed totally to God. She started a blog when she went, and I started following it two years ago. This girl, let me tell you. God has worked so many amazing things through her, tho she'd never, ever say it was because of her or her courage. It's because of her faith in God. And I've been so challenged by it.

At 22, Katie has started a ministry; feeds over one thousand children in the slums of Uganda every week; has over 400 needy children in the sponsorship program of her ministry, providing schooling, medical treatment and food for them; has people, injured, sick or dying, in her home weekly; AND has adopted FOURTEEN becautiful girls who all call her Mamma.

Did I mention, Katie is 22?

I feel there are so many parts of this book I would love to share with you, that if I did, I would in fact retype the whole book right here. So, I will encourage you to read it yourself. Please, please do! (you may borrow my copy even!) I will, however, share one of the many things I love that she wrote in her very last chapter.

"I believe there is only one truly courageous thing we can do with our lives: to love unconditionally. Absolutely, with all of ourselves, so much that it hurts and then more."

Katie gave up life as she knew it, her comfort, family, friends, love of her life, to follow God. Not her plan. Not her desires. Though, now that she's totally given up herself, the Lord has made His desires for her, hers. Listen to that, does it make sense? When we let go of OUR selfishness, OUR desires, and give God full reign in our lives, His desires for us become ours. We then long for the things He has created us for. We long to love those He loves. Unconditionally.

Lord, may I give up myself to You, completely. Make Your desires, my desires. May I see with Your eyes. May I love so much it hurts, as You love all of us. And, thank You for loving me, in spite of myself.

http://kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment