Thursday, February 2, 2012

embrace

As our church reads through the Word in 90 days, it has amazed me at how many women in the Old Testament are mentioned as being childless. I should have started counting, there are many.

They twinge at my heart each time I read about one. Their pain, sadness, the way they were tormented, mocked, their longing, and so on and so forth. And, in some cases, when the Lord gives them a child, their faith, their rejoicing, their love, their dedication to the Lord.

One of my favorites is from 2 Kings 4. Elisha, the prophet, is show great hospitality by a Shunammite woman, and he wants to repay her kindness. He asks her what she needs, but this woman was very wealthy, and she needs nothing done for her. So, he tells her, knowing that she has no son, "At this season, about this time next year, you shall embrace a son."

Her response?

"No, my lord, O man of God: do not lie to your servant."

I don't think she was accusing him of lying, per se. I think it was she was shocked. It was a deep longing for her, she wanted it, but considering her circumstances, it was just hard to believe it could be true! She didn't want to be teased, or get her hopes up.

But, it was true. The Lord gave her a son. I can only imagine her joy! It's a great story, one of the grace of the Lord, one of His gifts to us when we listen to Him, one of crazy love (the boy later dies), one of crazy belief (the woman runs to Elisha, for she knows he's a man of God, and God is powerful), and one of a great miracle (the boy lives again, and sneezes a lot!). You really should check it out!

This is another delicate balance for me. I see the cry of these women, and I see how the Lord provides. I know He can do miracles, He's proven it, and I believe it. I just never, ever, want to EXPECT the Lord to provide for me in the way I WANT Him to. Sure, I long for it, with so much of my heart, but more so, I long for Him. For Him to be my satisfaction, longing, desire. Nothing else.

So, should the Lord provide the blessing of a little one, through this adoption of my snow angel, you will find me waiting, with open arms! And, if he has another plan, you will find me with open arms still, ready for His love, grace and hands holding me tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment